Welcome! If you’re interested in our lab, please read below and shoot your CV in this form.
- For Interns
- For MS-PhDs
- What I do: [Poster] [Project Description]
- What I did: [Slides]
I welcome full-time undergraduate interns and visiting students, as long as (1) the period is at least 6 months long, (2) there’s a good research fit.
Especially, I enjoy working with motivated undergraduate students. There are a few undergrad interns in the lab at any given time. As an intern, you will implement some ideas, and host some events, write some documents to scale-up our project and teams. I strongly prefer working with students who are committed to interning for at least 6 months (e.g., a winter/summer vacation + following academic semester).
We also host GIST undergraduate students for their undergraduate thesis I and II (3 credits each), though we can’t guarantee that we’ll be able to support every student financially. Please consider registering for the AI convergence program (Prof. Jongwon Shin) or applying to G-SURF if you are a GIST undergraduate student and want funding for your study.
저는 GIST AI대학원 전임교원이자 전기전자컴퓨터공학부 겸무교원으로 등록되어 있어서, 학사논문 I, II 지도가 가능합니다.
Fill this form if you are interested in working/studying with us.
Listed below are some projects and events I did with undergraduate interns.
- Playgrounds for Abstraction and Reasoning [Poster] [English] [Korean] [Happy ARC Day] [Seminar]
- Classification of Goods Using Text Descriptions With Sentences Retrieval [Link]
- Customs Fraud Detection in the Presence of Concept Drift [Link] [Video]
- Response to COVID-19 with Probabilistic Programming [Link] [Github]
- Hyperbolic Interaction Model for Category Classification in E-Commerce [PDF] [Video]
- Active Learning for Custom Fraud Detection [Preprint]
- Hierarchical POI Embedding with Heterogeneuos Information [Slides] [Github]
- Customer Revisit Prediction using Macroscale Mobility [PDF] [Report]
KAIST Students who are willing to work with me can also apply a position through IBS/KAIST Data Science Group when available.
As a faculty in GIST AI, I have a few MS/PhD slots every year. You have to get admission from the department first in order to be eligible to join our lab.
저는 GIST AI대학원 전임교원으로 AI대학원에서 석사/박사/석박통합과정 학생을 매년 선발할 수 있습니다, 선발된 학생 중에서는 삼성전자 산학장학생 - 지능형모터트랙과 같은 기회도 제공됩니다. 저와 함께 공부하실 분은 GIST AI대학원에 지원해 주세요, 대학원 입시에 통과하시면 연구실 컨택 기간이 주어집니다.
Check the below websites for your consideration. The official application period for international students starting in Fall 2023 is until Apr 14, 2023, so check this link occasionally for your consideration. You can find necessary information such as financial support.
Due to the large number of requests, I may not be able to answer your emails. After preparing the official application, please shoot your CV through the form so that I can track your interest. Note that I can only write recommendation letters to students who I worked with, so please receive them from your memtors
For Incoming MS/PhD Students at GIST (2023 Spring, Fall)
Congratulations! If you received an admission at GIST AI and interested in joining our lab starting in the following semester, please email me after writing the form.
Could you send your CV, transcript, and application package? If the courses you are currently taking are not shown on the transcript, please include a list of courses you are taking this semester.
What’s your career plan after getting your MS/PhD degree?
Why are you interested in doing AI research and what is the potential research idea you’d like to explore? (Align your idea with our ongoing projects)
For those who respond these questions, I ask for a 1-on-1 meeting with the applicant to better understand their motivation, background, and interests. Successful candidates will be asked for a 15-min presentation with the current members invited. The applicant introduces themselves and presents potential research ideas they’d like to explore.
We have one postdoc opening on abstraction and reasoning (Solving ARC and rich math problems, starting from May 2023). We are looking for active learners who can collaborate across a diverse and global team and are comfortable dealing with ambiguity. Our group will have around 10 undergraduate/MS-PhD members in this domain, and the project is attracting researchers from abroad so you can make use of this chance to lead the project and increase your visibility. Plus, the GIST AI grad school has HPC with ample A100 GPUs. The current position is 100% research-oriented without teaching responsibilities. The appointment is initially for one year and the contract can be extended by another year based on the evaluation of excellence. The starting date will be May 2023 and the salary will be competitive, GIST has a beautiful campus, and the city center is pretty close to the campus. [Available Call]
- Self-motivated individuals who enjoy challenges to explore the unsolved problem.
- A sincere attitude towards work and an attitude of taking responsibility and completing assigned tasks
- Sharing your technical and communication skills with junior talents
- Candidates should be Ph.D degree holders by the appointment date.
- Experience in self-directed research in machine learning
- Strong understanding of state-of-the-art deep learning approaches for representation learning and reinforcement learning, ideally applied to the domain of abstraction and reasoning.
- A research program demonstrated by publications in relevant top-tier publication venues in the candidate’s field (e.g., ICML, ICLR, KDD, NeurIPS, etc)
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills, fluent in English.